Exodus 16:32--- Moses said, “This is what the LORD has commanded: ‘Take an omer of manna and keep it for the generations to come, so they can see the bread I gave you to eat in the wilderness when I brought you out of Egypt.’”


Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Homemade Baby Food Made Easy


I made just about all of Luke's baby food when he was a baby and now I'm doing the same for Sophia.  It's all about getting my food budget to stretch a little farther. I can't afford to purchase all organic pre-made baby food, so I just make it myself!   I don't need to make nearly as much this time around though, because Sophia eats like a bird (and is still gaining about 2 lbs a month)!  5 minutes of nursing and she's done and fine for 3-4 hours.  1/2 jar of food and she's disinterested.  It's so surprising for me, because Luke would consistently nurse for 30 minutes straight and down two jars of food at each sitting!

I keep my baby food making very simple. 

I only have three guidelines : Organic and Easy and Cost Effective

To fit into those three guidelines, I keep my food selection for the babies very limited.  I only make and feed them the following:

-carrots
-sweet potatoes
-peas
-mango
-apples (I don't make these anymore...I purchase large jars of organic non-sweetened apple sauce)
I don't make apples because it is more cost effective for me to buy organic non-sweetened apple sauce at Trader Joes than it is for me to purchase organic apples + peel, cook, blend and jar them.

This time around with Sophia I may venture into chicken and rice and bananas.  I'll keep you posted if I do.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED

Baby Food Jars---I started by purchasing about 30 jars of baby food so I could have the jars for future use.  Luke ate the food, I removed the labels, and used goo-gone to remove all the sticky left behind. (I love goo-gone and my one bottle has lasted me two years so far and it's only half gone.)

Your Usual Pots and Pans--No need to purchase any special cooking pans

Immersion Blender--I asked for this for Christmas right after Luke was born.  I got the Cuisinart CSB-77 Smart Stick Hand Blender with Whisk and Chopper Attachments, and I absolutely love it.  But any immersion blender will do just fine.  I also use my immersion blender for making all my smoothies and soups (cauliflower soup, etc).  It's one of my most-used appliances.


CARROTS AND PEAS

Wash carrots. Cut stems off and discard. Chop carrots and boil them in a large pot on Medium High heat for about 20 minutes.  For peas, just pour frozen peas into boiling water.  Pour off most of the water and save in a large Pyrex measuring cup (this water has vitamins and minerals in it).  Use a hand immersion blender to mash and blend the carrots or peas into smooth baby food.  Add back the drained carrot or pea water to attain desired consistency.  Spoon into baby jars.  Let cool for 15 min.  Put lids on and place in the freezer.  Pull out and thaw in the refrigerator as needed.  The peas tend to have a rough texture compared to store-bought baby food peas.  I'm going to experiment with dried split peas to see if I can achieve a smoother consistency.  I'll keep you posted.

SWEET POTATOES

Wash potatoes and stab each with a knife about 8 times.  Line a baking sheet with tin foil for easy clean-up.  Place potatoes on the foil and bake at 350 for 1 hour.  Let cool for 15 min.  Cut open and scoop potato into a bowl.  Discard skins.  Add filtered water to the potatoes while blending them with the immersion blender to attain desired consistency.  Spoon into baby jars.  Let cool for 15 min.  Put lids on and place in the freezer.  Pull out and thaw in the refrigerator as needed.

MANGO
I purchase bags of frozen mango from Trader Joes.  I let them thaw overnight in the refrigerator.  Pour them into a bowl and blend with immersion blender.  Add filtered water to attain desired consistency.  Spoon into baby jars.  Put lids on and place in the freezer.  Pull out and thaw in the refrigerator as needed.

These methods will work with pears, berries, apples, and many others!  Experiment!  I use only these limited foods because I like to keep it simple and I can buy them organic and make them into baby food for less money than buying them as organic pre-made baby food.

2 comments:

  1. Another thought - I froze my baby food in ice cube trays and then stored in freezer bags. 1 cube = 1 ounce. So whenever I needed a couple oz, I just thawed them out in the microwave and they were ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! And it would be so quick to load up an ice cube tray!

      Delete