Exodus 16:32--- Moses said, “This is what the LORD has commanded: ‘Take an omer of manna and keep it for the generations to come, so they can see the bread I gave you to eat in the wilderness when I brought you out of Egypt.’”


Monday, July 16, 2012

Fool Proof Planter


For several years I've been trying to find the right combination of plants to fill my front porch planters.  I've tried loads of different flowers, but this year, I have found that adding no blooming flowers, at all, has been a massive success in my book.



The lime-green vines, with the tiny yellow flowers, trailing down the stoop are called Creeping Jenny.  A landscape architect told me if you plant Creeping Jenny in a 2nd story window box, it will grow all the way down your house to the ground!  I love this plant.

The varigated red and lime green leaves are a plant called Coleus.  Coleus comes in several different colors and sizes and doesn't like too much hot sun.  I get afternoon sun (after 2pm) here at my front door so it's not too intense. 

And the tall grass in the center is called Purple Fountain Grass.  All three of these plants are annuals and love it in part sun (5-6 hours).

The soil that I prepared for the pots consists of part peat moss, part soil from the ground, and part manuer-compost mix.  I water them almost everyday to keep them fresh and perky.  I'll definitely be doing these again next summer too!

What are some plants that have worked well for you in your planters?

1 comment: