Exodus 16:32--- Moses said, “This is what the LORD has commanded: ‘Take an omer of manna and keep it for the generations to come, so they can see the bread I gave you to eat in the wilderness when I brought you out of Egypt.’”


Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Clematis

This is a purple Jackmani Clematis. It was given to me as a teeny tiny sprout of a plant from my mother to celebrate my first mother's day (I was 7 months pregnant with my first born, Luke).  My mother has this exact breed of clematis and I wanted one of my own to make my new house feel like "home". 

In this current photo, the clematis is now 3 years old, and just bursting with life. The Jackmani is the classic clematis. It has large violet-purple blooms and it's very hardy. You can find them at almost any nursery.

Rule #1
Keep the roots in the shade and the blooms in the sun.  In the photo below you can see how I've planted a cedum right at the base of the clematis to keep it's roots permanently shaded from the sun.  It loves this.


Rule #2
Cut back and throw away the entire plant the first week of March every year.  Leave only 6 inches of stems left sticking out of the ground.  It takes some work to unwind all the dead growth out of the trellis, but it's worth it!  Some people say to cut back the entire plant as soon as it's good and dead in December.  I did that last year and it came back just as beautifully as when I had waited and cut it back in March.

Rule #3
Clematis stems snap very, very, easily.  Once they snap, that whole branch will die (but just for that season).  As you help to wind the new growth in and out of your trellis or fence, be very, very, very, gentle.

Rule #4
Water your clematis about 2-3 times a week depending on the amount of rainfall. 
And that's about it!  You'll love watching your clematis grow every spring.  Some days it will literally grow 6-8 inches in one day!  This plant has only been growing since March.


Year One of my Clematis' Life (2 years ago)--It only made 6 blooms that year.  And look how small my Knock Out Rose bush is too!
Your Clematis vine will be small to start, but have patience and it will double the following year and continue to be fuller and more beautiful each year.  Happy Gardening!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment