Exodus 16:32--- Moses said, “This is what the LORD has commanded: ‘Take an omer of manna and keep it for the generations to come, so they can see the bread I gave you to eat in the wilderness when I brought you out of Egypt.’”


Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Run the Race

"Poverty has not been my experience, but God has allowed, in the lives of each of us, some sort of loss, the withdrawal of something we valued, in order that we may learn to offer ourselves a little more willingly, to allow the touch of death on one more thing we have clutched so tightly, and thus know fullness and freedom and joy that much sooner. 

We're not naturally inclined to love God and seek His Kingdom.  Trouble may help to incline us--that is, it may tip us over, put some pressure on us, lean us in the right direction."

Elizabeth Elliot, Keep a Quiet Heart



I enjoyed this portion of the book today.  Where Elliot says "We're not naturally inclined to love God and seek His Kingdom." my heart lept a little in my chest. 

Until this week, I have sincerely believed that there must be something off kilter in my faith.  I DO love God and I DO seek His Kingdom, but I'm like a well-behaved pet at times.  I love my Master, I want to stay in the boundaries He has laid out; however, every now and again I get distracted...eat a pile of garbage...chase a car....run out the gate to explore the neighborhood. 

And I keep asking myself, "Why do I keep failing the Lord?  Why has my love for God been so weak today?  Why do I have to continually rerout my thinking to seek what is eternal and important to God, instead of focusing on me, me, me?  Shouldn't my love for God and my focus on His work come continually and easily; without inturruption?" 

If it came easily, the apostle Paul wouldn't have called it a race, I suppose.  I can't think of anything much harder than a race; a triathalon; an ironman; a marathon; even a 10K, nay, a 5K,  is quite an undertaking for most of us.  The Bible says that living a life of faith in Jesus is like running a race.  Running takes continual effort.  Every step takes effort.  Paul says it's the same in our relationship with God.  We must stay focused and run in such a way as to get the prize. 

Photo Credit :Stock Photography

  1. 1 Corinthians 9:24
    Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
  2. Galations 2:2
    I went in response to a revelation and, meeting privately with those esteemed as leaders, I presented to them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. I wanted to be sure I was not running and had not been running my race in vain.
  3. Galations 5:7
    You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth?
  4. Hebrews 12:1
    Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,

Photo Credit: Stock Photography
 Staying in the "race" has become more natural and more consistant with each new year that I've been a Christian; 17 years in all now, but it's not perfect yet...far from it! The biggest help for me has been mental discipline; training my mind to focus on the Lord, focus on what He would have me do today and to remember He is with me every moment.  We must discipline our minds, and for heaven's sake, don't try to do it all on your own.  Pray for some help with it! 

Romans 12:1-2 "Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is —his good, pleasing and perfect will."

And I must say that troubles and suffering have been a wake-up call to "renew my mind", and get back in the race; my mother's cancer, a broken wedding engagement before meeting my current husband, Joel, and a physically difficult miscarriage all sent me running to God for comfort and peace.

Elliot says, We're not naturally inclined to love God and seek His Kingdom." and that trials and troubles can lead us to prayer and a closer relationship with Jesus.

However, we ARE naturally inclined to believe in God at all times, no matter how obedient we are from one day to the next.  Romans 1:20 says, "For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

I used to be a runner before I hurt my left knee, and I can tell you that running takes consistant effort; that even one day without a run can put you back physically and mentally.

So here's the same recipe for contentment most of us have heard several times, but I can't hear it enough:

Read your Bible and pray every single day.
Don't fear the troubles and trails and messes when they come.  Cling to the Lord; love Him and trust Him, and learn whatever you could possibly learn in your suffering.  Trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment