Exodus 16:32--- Moses said, “This is what the LORD has commanded: ‘Take an omer of manna and keep it for the generations to come, so they can see the bread I gave you to eat in the wilderness when I brought you out of Egypt.’”


Saturday, June 9, 2012

Purity of Heart

"Purity of heart, said Kierkegaard, is to will one thing.  The Son (Jesus) willed only one thing: the will of His father.  That's what he came to earth to do.  Nothing else.  One whose aim is as pure as that can have a completely quiet heart, knowing what the psalmist knew: 'Lord, You have assigned me my portion and my cup, and have made my lot secure' (Psalm 16:5 NIV).  I know of no greater simplifier for all of life.

Whatever happens is assigned.  Does the intellect balk at that?  Can we say that there are things which happen to us which do not belong to our lovingly assigned "portion" ("This belongs to it, that does not")?  Are some things, then, out of the control of the Almighty?

Every assignment is measured and controlled for my eternal good.  As I accept the given portion other options are cancelled.  Decisions become much easier, directions clearer, and hence my heart becomes inexpressibly quieter."

~From Keep a Quiet Heart by Elizabeth Elliot


I'm really enjoying this book.  I'll keep sharing little portions of wisdom that jump out at me from the book as I slowly make my way through it.  It's challenging to find reading time, but I will persevere, for I love to read, but even more than reading, I love to learn!!!  I love wisdom the most of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment