Exodus 16:32--- Moses said, “This is what the LORD has commanded: ‘Take an omer of manna and keep it for the generations to come, so they can see the bread I gave you to eat in the wilderness when I brought you out of Egypt.’”


Friday, April 13, 2012

Green Apples for Pregnancy Heartburn

This is a photo taken at the beginning of a 10 day juice fast that my husband, Joel and I did last summer. 

I have been pregnant four times; two miscarriages, and Luke and Sophia.  With each pregnancy I seem to have worse and worse heartburn!  Since I am on a continual journey to keep my body filled with all natural, organic, healthy food, and remedies, (aside from the occasional pizza delivery :D) I refused to go out and buy medication to ease my heartburn. ( I do realize that if I ate less pizza, I'd have less heartburn!)
I started scouring pregnancy websites and chat rooms for a natural heartburn solution that worked, and tasted good.  Several women suggested apple cider vinegar, but I knew even the smell of it would make my morning sickness worse.  Then one woman said, "Try green apples."  I don't remember her username; I don't remember which of the 1000 pregnancy web pages I found her on, but if you're out there, and you're reading this, THANK YOU WONDERFUL GREEN APPLE LADY!
Green apples cure my pregnancy heartburn, almost to the point of not even noticing it after I eat one.  Here is what I've found in all my trial and error:

*The green apple remedy works best if you leave the skins on the apples.

*Do not eat or drink anything after eating the apple (well, for as long as possible).

*You do not need to eat an entire apple; just a few slices worked fine for me.

*Cold apples seemed to work the best, so keep them in the refrigerator.

*Heartburn can act-up more at night.  Eat a few slices of apple before bed, and keep a few slices on your nightstand, in case your heartburn wakes you up in the night.  Try to sleep elevated with a few extra pillows (I sleep with 6 when I'm pregnant).

Let me know if this remedy works for you too!

2 comments:

  1. I am going to buy some green apples tonight, as my heartburn has been ridiculous lately with how big this baby is (every burp has a little extra surprise in it).
    I sleep with 4 regular pillows and a giant pregnancy pillow, so I was glad to hear you had 6, it makes me feel not as silly in my nest-making each night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Maren! I hope the green apples worked for you. It's such a relief to have one less little ailment weighing you down. And every pregnant friend I know makes an enormous nest every night so nest away!!! :D

      Delete