Exodus 16:32--- Moses said, “This is what the LORD has commanded: ‘Take an omer of manna and keep it for the generations to come, so they can see the bread I gave you to eat in the wilderness when I brought you out of Egypt.’”


Saturday, April 14, 2012

Why Make An Omer?



If the house is on fire, and there is no time to save anything, my husband knows we grab my box of Omers and the kids, and that's it.  I have a plastic tub filled with volume after volume of these journals that tell the story of my life over the past 15 years : the ending of my first engagement to a cheating scoundrel, my mother's battle with cancer, my first time studying the book of Daniel, meeting Joel, the love of my life, and every detail of our courtship, my four pregnancies and two harrowing deliveries.  I could go on listing the hundreds of monumental moments my volumes of journals hold.  I need them.  My mind is fuzzy on the details of things in the past.



But more important than the details of the events of my past, is the beauty with which the Lord brought me through each one with swift discipline and love. Page after page, I wrote about the strength He gave me.  I wrote about my faith growing larger, and my need for anyone or anything other than Him, dissipating.  In 1 Samuel 7:12 it says, 'Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, saying, "Thus far has the LORD helped us."'  The Israelites would set up stones as a remembrance of the Lord's help and victories.  My journals are my stones.  I will give them to my children to show them what the Lord has done.  They will give them to their children, and so on.




In the book of Joel 1:3 it says of the Lord's help:


 Tell it to your children,
and let your children tell it to their children,
and their children to the next generation.



In Deuteronomy 11:1-7 it says:


1 Love the LORD your God and keep his requirements, his decrees, his laws and his commands always. 2 Remember today that your children were not the ones who saw and experienced the discipline of the LORD your God: his majesty, his mighty hand, his outstretched arm; 3 the signs he performed and the things he did in the heart of Egypt, both to Pharaoh king of Egypt and to his whole country; 4 what he did to the Egyptian army, to its horses and chariots, how he overwhelmed them with the waters of the Red Sea[a] as they were pursuing you, and how the LORD brought lasting ruin on them. 5 It was not your children who saw what he did for you in the wilderness until you arrived at this place, 6 and what he did to Dathan and Abiram, sons of Eliab the Reubenite, when the earth opened its mouth right in the middle of all Israel and swallowed them up with their households, their tents and every living thing that belonged to them. 7 But it was your own eyes that saw all these great things the LORD has done.




Never stop telling your children the great things the Lord has done in your life.  It will continually build their faith.  I encourage you to start a collection of your very own Omers for the generations to come, so they can see the "bread" the Lord gave you to eat in the wilderness when He brought you out of your "Egypt".

6 comments:

  1. Love this!!! I too have a huge collection of handwritten journals. This inspires me to keep writing in them faithfully...it is just so lovely to go back on through them and see God's faithfulness. Which one of Elizabeth Elliot's books does the "omer" phrase come from? :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm almost certain it's from Passion and Purity. She begins her Omer of Manna in college and Passion and Purity is the story of her courtship to Jim at Wheaton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have chronicled all of the momentous occasions in your life to mark God's goodness and faithfulness to you! I have good intentions that never consistently materialize. Do you have any secrets for maintaining motivation to regularly write in the omers? That's my biggest downfall and regret. What treasures you have which show the refinement of your faith and its survival through metaphorical (and hopefully never physical) fires!

    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin ~ Thank you for your encouraging comment! I began to view each book as an individual progressing work of art. With each new entry, I was painting a corner of the picture. My drive to continually make entries always had its foundation in a hunger to study the Word of God, but when those dry seasons came, and my hunger waned, I kept writing, kept studying and drawing my reflections, because I couldn't bear to leave a piece of art unfinished. My dedication to my journals is somewhat individualized, and I'm not sure if it will translate well to others. I plan on writing a blog entry about maintaining motivation in the future that will hopefully be more practical to a wider audience...not just mildly "obsessive artists". lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you, Nell =) I'm enjoying your omers. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your artist's perspective, Genelle! :)

    ReplyDelete