Exodus 16:32--- Moses said, “This is what the LORD has commanded: ‘Take an omer of manna and keep it for the generations to come, so they can see the bread I gave you to eat in the wilderness when I brought you out of Egypt.’”


Monday, April 23, 2012

Olive Oil Popcorn



I recently read an article on prevention.com listing 7 deadly foods that should never cross your lips.  On that list was microwave popcorn! WHAAAAA?  I know.  Apparently it's deadly.  Here's what the article said:

"Olga Naidenko, PhD, a senior scientist for the Environmental Working Group, gives us the scoop:
The problem: Chemicals, including perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), in the lining of the bag, are part of a class of compounds that may be linked to infertility in humans, according to a recent study from UCLA. In animal testing, the chemicals cause liver, testicular, and pancreatic cancer. Studies show that microwaving causes the chemicals to vaporize—and migrate into your popcorn. "They stay in your body for years and accumulate there," says Naidenko, which is why researchers worry that levels in humans could approach the amounts causing cancers in laboratory animals. DuPont and other manufacturers have promised to phase out PFOA by 2015 under a voluntary EPA plan, but millions of bags of popcorn will be sold between now and then."

So, we need to make our own popcorn like our parents did when we were little!  Through some trial and error, I have come up with a pretty good fool-proof method of making yummy popcorn on the stove top.  I wanted to avoid the butter so I started experimenting with olive oil.  My little method is below.
You really don't need one of those fancy popcorn kettles to make your own popcorn on the stove top.  I just use my regular old pasta pot with the lid cocked.  Using nothing but olive oil, salt and corn kernels, I can make my very favorite popcorn in just a few minutes.  I know you won't believe me, but I like it better than movie theater popcorn.  Seriously.  And I definitely like it better than deadly-make-you-infertile-give-you-cancer-microwave-popcorn.

Here's how you do it!

Olive Oil Stove Top Popcorn

Place large pot on the stove on medium-high heat

Cover the bottom of the pot with olive oil (maybe like 1/8 cup?)

Cover the bottom of the pot with corn kernels (one layer insures that the popped corn shouldn't
overflow the capacity of the pot....but you may need a little trial and error here) 

Place lid on slightly ajar to allow for steam to escape so the corn won't be chewy



Wait for corn to pop.  When there is 2-3 seconds between pops, it's done.

Remove from heat and pour into a bowl immediately.

Salt to your liking. I find that sea salt sticks to dry popcorn very well compared to regular salt.

It's deeelish....and it won't kill you! Yay!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought of you when I was writing this post :D

      Delete
  2. Can I have your red bowl? ;) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom got me this bowl as a wedding gift 9 years ago! You should ask her where she found it :D

      Delete