Exodus 16:32--- Moses said, “This is what the LORD has commanded: ‘Take an omer of manna and keep it for the generations to come, so they can see the bread I gave you to eat in the wilderness when I brought you out of Egypt.’”


Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Start of the 8 Year Journey


Ever since Sophia was born 5 months ago, I haven't been able to have consistent time in my Bible.  I've tried all different times of the day, but nothing has stuck.  I have needed a plan, a hunger, some discipline, maybe all of the above. 

Today I have decided to read my bible out loud to my children, one chapter a day, until I get through the entire book.  "But you have a newborn and a 2 yr old!" you say.  Yes I do, and my plan would seem crazy had I not been inspired and encouraged by some amazing Christian women today at ReviveOurHearts.com.

Today I heard a Revive Our Hearts radio broadcast by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and her guest; blogger and author, Carrie Ward, that brought tears to my eyes repeatedly.  This was the solution to my hunger for the Word.  This was the solution to planting the seeds of the Word in my young children.  

You can visit Carrie Ward's blog here.  She has written a book called "Together-Growing Appetites for God" after her experience of reading the entire Bible, one chapter a day, during breakfast, to her small children (a newborn, a 2 yr old, and a 4 yr old when she started her journey). 

How long did it take her to get through the entire Bible you ask? 8 YEARS.  The retention of scripture in her little ones has been nothing short of miraculous, especially since it rarely seemed like the children were paying attention.  She has since read through the Bible two more times with her children.  Their knowledge of scripture is phenomenal, and nothing was needed but the Bible itself.

You can find printable progress charts and journals for this daily Bible reading challenge for free at www.aneverydaymama.com. I will be blogging about this adventure from time to time to share with you our trials and triumphs through this journey.

I hope some of you might be as excited as I am to get started on this 8 year journey.  I begin tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited for you and you inspired me to start with you!!! I only have 8 years left with my boy, Lord willing, so maybe we will have to pick up the pace :) Love you, Nell and love to read what's on your heart!

    ReplyDelete