Exodus 16:32--- Moses said, “This is what the LORD has commanded: ‘Take an omer of manna and keep it for the generations to come, so they can see the bread I gave you to eat in the wilderness when I brought you out of Egypt.’”


Thursday, April 19, 2012

Shelves in the Closet. Happy Thought Indeed.

"Shelves in the closet. Happy thought indeed." is a quote from my very favorite movie of all time.  The BBC's version of Pride and Prejudice. 



I love our label maker. (a P-touch ) I use it as often as I possibly can.  And this time, I have pulled out the label maker for the linen closet.  The LINEN CLOSET? Yes.  Ladies, our goal is "Clean and Simple".  If you have too many pillows, donate them.  If they look sketchy, throw them out.  If you have random mismatched pillow cases, get them down to your scrap fabric bin.  If you have some scratchy sheets that you never want to put on your bed, or a guest bed--again, down to the fabric bin, or donate them, or toss them.  Let's try to make putting away laundry a pleasure instead of a wrestling match with our closet shelves.


We have king sheets for my and Joel's bed, queen sheets for our guest beds, full-size sheets for Luke's bed, and crib and bassinet sheets for Sophie's beds.  And for some reason, I buy most of my sheets in either, white, baby blue, or celery green, so we were having some MASS confusion going on in the linen closet.  Then add in hand towels, bath mats, wash cloths, bath towels and extra bed pillows (I have about 20 bed pillows...I collect them like I collect pens....you never know when you'll need a pen or an extra pillow...or an extra 6 pillows with pregnant friends or a pregnant sister visiting).  I moved Luke and Sophia's sheets to their respective closets to free up some space.  Then, after some sorting, folding, tossing, and labeling, our linen closet is finally, delightfully organized. Ahhhhhh.





Now don't look too closely at these next few, or you might notice that I cannot fold a fitted sheet to save my life...I just kind of ball it and smoosh it into something flat-ish.  You also might notice my 2 and 1/2 year old with a pacifier in his mouth.  Yes, I still let him sleep with it, but he's only allowed to have it in his bed; however, while I was working upstairs on this linen closet, he was playing in his room and got a hold of his paci. lol.  I'll take away the paci one of these days!



Here is Luke attempting to undo all the beauty.  I don't blame him though.  If you ask my mother, Elizabeth, her linen closet was my and my sister's very favorite place to hide and play.  And, of course, we never put anything "back the way we found it"...maybe because mom didn't have the spots labeled where each item should go back to! Ha!



The next "Clean and Simple" project in my home is Sophia's closet.  Yikes.  I'll keep you updated...



8 comments:

  1. Haha, I looove that movie! I saw the quote and it made me giggle. ;) Fabulous shelves as well. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rish! I have have quotes from that movie running through my head in all different situations. Lizzy has such a fabulous wit.

      Delete
  2. It looks so nice, Genelle! I don't actually have a linen closet but more of a linen pile on top of a shelf/dresser/odd thing (it's built in) in my bathroom. You have inspired me to go through all our blankets, sheets, etc...we have WAY TOO MUCH! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It's hard to part with them, but it feels so loose and free when it's done. And thank you for the encouragement!

      Delete
  3. That makes me happy and inspires me! I SO want to get my hands on Sophia's closet. Not that my closets don't look like that but there is something so satisfing in organizing it all and it is so much more fun to deal with someone else's stuff than your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with you Brooke. Since writing this post, I have organized her closet and messed it all up again. She just has too much stuff! I must part with some of it.

      Delete
  4. You're an inspiration...ALWAYS!! :) This is my next project. We just finished remodeling our room, and babies room is done...and now we have to re-distribute everything that is piled high in our office back to the appropriate rooms...and toss stuff that doesn't fit! Maybe a label maker is in order! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooooh, you'll love a label maker Gisele :D

      Delete