Exodus 16:32--- Moses said, “This is what the LORD has commanded: ‘Take an omer of manna and keep it for the generations to come, so they can see the bread I gave you to eat in the wilderness when I brought you out of Egypt.’”


Thursday, April 26, 2012

Through Genesis 11

Me:  "Bonjour Luke! Est-ce que tu veux le petit dejuner?  Une pomme? Une barre granola?  Est-ce que tu connais ce que ta mere parle le france?  J'ai etudi le france pendant une semestre a L'Universite de Caen en Normandie!" (don't hold me to this being grammatically correct...I just threw this out from the top of my head...I haven't spoken french since I was at L'Universite de Caen in 2000!  And, I cannot figure out how to type with appropriate french accents on the letters on a mac!)


Luke: "Don't Mommy.  I can't like that." (Luke says "can't like" instead of "don't like")


Me: *laughing*  "You've never heard any other language before! Today is about God creating all the different languages of the world."


We have made it to the story of the Tower of Babel today in Genesis 11.  We are holding strong on our journey of me reading the entire bible, out loud to our 2 yr old and our 5 month old, one chapter a day, hoping to finish in 8 years.


A view of Paris I shot from on top of L'arc de Triomphe


I've been consistently reading our one chapter of the Bible during breakfast together, Monday through Friday.  Our weekend schedule is always different, so sometimes we fit it in and sometimes we don't.  Overall, I'm still excited and pleased with how it seems to be going.  Each day, for 11 days, Luke has quietly listened to the whole chapter with very minimal interruptions.  This is amazing.  He's two.  He's a boy.  My mother always said Luke was "bookish" though.  He can rip and roar and snort and fight with the best of the kids, but he really is a book man. 

He likes to "cross-reference" our NIV (New International Version) Bible with his Jesus Storybook Bible.  He likes the pictures and he enjoys hearing the story again told in a more child-like way.  After I finish reading from the NIV he says, "Now lets read MY Bible".  I love his Jesus Storybook Bible.  It doesn't have all the content of the Bible, but it has quite a few of the most commonly known stories and lessons, and the illustrations are darling.

But other than being quiet and listening, I haven't had any indication that he is absorbing what I'm reading.  He smiles a lot during my reading, and I see wheels turning in his little blond head, but that's about it so far.  It's been a great feeling for me to be dedicated to being in the Word regularly and planing all these seeds of God's Word into my kids.  And that is the real pay-off for me.  It starts my day grounded in reality.  I love it.  Have any of you tried this?  How's it working out?

2 comments:

  1. Jack and I have been reading a Proverb a day, because that is what our church is doing for this month, followed by a story from his Bible - a different story-book style Bible than what you have. He gets mad when I say we are done. For the Proverbs, I have been writing down verses that stand out in a Genelle-inspired Omer, and when I write them, I repeat them slowly, and Jack has been imitating my repetition, which is pretty cute. He's not quite two, so the absorption isn't necessarily there, but I think us setting up the routine of doing this each night will be the biggest bonus, and will eventually have such a huge impact. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maren, Your post got me so excited! It helps so much to know that another mom is trying this too. And little Jack seems to be really interested in the whole process. It's amazing to me!

    ReplyDelete